6 Electrical Warning Signs You Should Be Aware Of

 In Electrical

If you live in an older home, your electrical wiring may need replacement sooner than you think. How can you identify problems when your system is largely out of sight? Consider the following warning signs of electrical wear and tear.

Electrical Shocks or Sparks

If you feel a mild shock or tingle when touching an appliance, a ground fault in the appliance or improper electrical wiring may be the cause.

Hot Ceiling Lights

You should occasionally check the area around your ceiling light fixtures for warmth because not all fixtures are well insulated. In addition, if you exceed the maximum recommended wattage for the bulb, the fixture can overheat. Too much heat buildup could pose a fire hazard.

Burning Smells

If you notice a burning odor coming from any outlets or switches, turn the power off at the electrical panel. Contact a qualified electrician for appropriate repairs. The problem may be a faulty device, but it could also be a wiring or overload problem.

A burning smell is a serious issue because it could indicate the start of an electrical fire. Do not use the receptacle until the situation has been repaired

Issues with Your Circuit Breaker

Circuit breakers are designed to trip when a circuit is overloaded. By shutting off the electrical supply, the breaker prevents wires from overheating and potentially starting a fire.

Breakers can also trip when they become old. Occasional tripping can indicate simple overloads. If a circuit breaker trips frequently, you should consult an electrician.

Flickering Lights

Flickering lights may be a sign of a defective or loose light bulb. If replacing the bulb doesn’t solve the problem, consult a licensed electrician. The fault may be in the light fixture.

Also, either the connections to the fixture or your home electrical wiring in the circuit breaker box may be loose. This type of electrical problem requires the professional diagnosis to ensure a complete repair.

Issues with Outlets

Light switches or receptacles that work only intermittently give away another home electrical problem. The wiring may be loose or the device may be cracked internally. If the plug partially falls out, an unsuspecting individual could accidentally receive a shock when unplugging the cord.

Have any questions about electrical troubleshooting for your home? Contact us here!

Recent Posts

Leave a Comment

polarized