Small Energy Saving Habits You Can Start Doing Now!
Things like investing in a high-efficiency heating and air conditioning system will have the largest impact on your monthly energy bills. But did you know there are things you can be doing now to ensure you’re developing energy saving habits to help you save in the long run? These small changes don’t even require any additional expense.
Here’s what you can do to cut down your monthly energy expenses:
- Turn off the lights whenever you leave a room.
- Depending on the season, lower or raise your thermostat temperature. Set it to “auto” rather than “on”.
- Keep your vents and registers open and unblocked
- Change your furnace filter regularly
- Check and see if your utility company offers budget billing so you’re costs don’t peak and drop throughout the year
- Switch to high-efficiency light bulbs when it comes time to change them
- Rather than using space heaters, bundle up instead
- Remember to switch your ceiling fan to ensure air is being distributed properly – clockwise: winter, counter-clockwise: summer
- Seal your windows and doors before winter hits
- Wash your clothes in cold water so you don’t have to waste energy heating the water
- Depending on the season, keep your curtains open (winter) or closed (summer)
- Unplug large appliances when you’re not using them
- Take shorter, cooler showers
Need more energy saving tips? Contact your local HVAC experts to ensure your system is working efficiently so you’re getting the temperatures you need without the costs.