How To Prevent Electrical Fires

How To Prevent Electrical Fires

According to the National Fire Prevention Association, electrical fires are the 3rd leading cause of structural fires in the United States. In recent years, these fires resulted in 222 injuries and deaths and $614 million in property damage. Electrical fires are no joke – and need to be taken more seriously.

Protect Your Home (And Family) from Electrical fires

Outdated electrical systems in older homes are a major cause of electrical fires. These systems can’t keep up with the demands of modern technology and appliances or they may have deteriorated over time from age. Consider getting an expert safety inspection from A-Abel to help identify any problems. Your home should be wired with copper wire, your outlets should be able to support three-prong plugs, and your outlets should be GFCI equipped (if near water).

Surge protectors are a good option to protect your electrical system from power surges. You can use a whole home surge protector or use a surge protected power strip for select appliances.

If you live in an older home, consult a professional about whether or not you need rewiring done.

Preventing Electrical Fires

Avoid overloading outlets

  • Outlet extenders aren’t permanent solutions
  • Use power strips with overload protection
  • Use extension cords sparingly
  • Don’t use extension cords with space heaters or an AC
  • Don’t run extension cords under carpets, near moisture, or in high-traffic areas
  • Use light bulbs with the correct wattage

Signs Of Faulty Electrical Wiring

  • Buzzing/flickering lights
  • Strange electrical problems
  • Frequently tripping breakers
  • You feel a tingle off electric appliances
  • Discolored/warm outlets

These tips should help lower the risk of electrical fires around your home. If you live in an older home or are experiencing signs of faulty electrical wiring, contact the experts at A-Abel.