How To Remove Mold From Your Home, Safely

How To Remove Mold From Your Home, Safely

Nearly every home gets mold, especially in the humid environment of Ohio. In fact, mold and mildew are two of the most common problems that all homeowners face. Mold thrives in damp, warm, poorly lit, and poorly ventilated areas. While visually unappealing and gross smelling, mold also poses a threat to the health of your home and your household. Mold can trigger allergies and asthma attacks and if left alone, it can cause serious damage to the structure of your house. We’re here to help you learn how to remove mold from your home and how to prevent it in the first place.

Eliminate Moisture

There’s a reach why you often encounter mold and mildew in bathrooms, kitchens, and basements. Mold loves warm, humid areas so the first step in tackling your mold growth is to clean the places where mold is most likely to appear and keep them dry. Clean your bathroom and kitchen often, stretch out your wet shower curtain after bathing, check children’s bath toys every so often, and dry damp clothing ASAP. If your basement is damp, there may likely be cracks in the walls allowing moisture to sneak in. Replace any cracked mortar and ensure you have efficient outdoor drainage to keep water out of your home.

An air conditioner can help get rid of excess moisture in the air by taking in warm air (which typically holds more moisture) and putting out cool, dry air. Another option to consider is if your home needs a dehumidifier.

Cleaning

There’s a wide variety of options to choose from when it comes to picking a cleaning solution to get rid of mold:

  • Bleach: very effective. Mix 1 cup of bleach with 1 gallon of water. Using a spray bottle or bucket and sponge, clean the moldy area. The downside of bleach is that it’s relatively useless on porous materials, like wood and drywall.
  • Vinegar: Not quite as effective as bleach, but it’s safe to use and doesn’t produce harsh fumes. Use undiluted white vinegar or apple cider vinegar. Pour vinegar into a spray bottle, spray the moldy area, let the vinegar sit on the mold for about an hour, then wipe clean. Again, this cleaning option is best for non-porous surfaces.
  • Borax: Dangerous if consumed but otherwise safe. Mix 1 cup of borax with 1 gallon of water and clean the moldy area with the solution and a scrubbing brush. Again, not an option for porous surfaces.
  • Ammonia: Similar to bleach. Only use clear ammonia to clean away mold. Mix a solution of ½ ammonia with ½ water and spray down the mold. Let the solution sit for a few hours, then wipe away and rinse the area with water.
  • Baking soda: Both mild and safe, like vinegar. This cleaning product will also remove the smell of mold because it’s a natural deodorizer. Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda to 8 ounces of water and mix well. Spray the mold with the solution and scrub with a sponge or scrubbing brush. Rinse the solution off with water.

For help with preventing mold growth within your home, contact A-Abel. We can help find a dehumidifier fit for your needs or check to ensure your air conditioner is working properly to reduce moisture and improve your overall indoor air quality.

Close Menu